Add your voice!


....... add your voice by clicking on an article title and leaving your message in the Comments box (English welcome, of course!)

Thursday, April 25, 2013

"The Last Supper" (王的盛宴) - A Movie Review


Sophia Hong

This movie is about an event in Chinese history, The Chu-Han War. It is a popular story, explained through the eyes of Liu Bang. In my view, Liu Bang only seems to be the main character; Han is the main character in reality. The movie is an artistic film rather than a documentary film. Because you can feel the difference between light and shadow, I think Han Xin is the real protagonist, a leader who is bright, attractive and positive. In this movie, the most memorable scene is of Liu Bang struggling with the past in a room that is dark and narrow, just like his heart. Han Xin appears in the sun, in a wild, peaceful place, and he is fearless. The freest person is limited by another person who is trapped in a cocoon around himself. How ironic!


All movies about history tell a story from beginning to end. In The Last Supper, Xiang Yu dies, and Han Xin also dies after Liu Bang becomes emperor. There are other sub-plots about the death of Yuji or how Qin Wang Zi Yin dies.

This movie seldom uses special effects. Instead, the director uses light and shadow to create a special atmosphere. It also creates strong contrasts such as when you see glowing blood inside a gray frame. When Han Xin turned his hand to the sunlight was my favorite moment. Because I watched the movie on a large screen with an overhead projector, the moment was gorgeous. So that the audience can hear the actors clearly, the music in the movie takes a secondary role; you notice it only during the battle scenes.

While I don’t think the movie has much to teach us, it did contain one message that I thought was valuable:  “People always look at themself and overlook other people’s desires.” To me, it means that you are frailest when you dwell on your success.  Personally, I think this means that I have to do better, even when I am doing my best.

I recommend this movie if you want to view Han Xin in a positive view, or if you want to see how a visually beautiful movie is made.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do NOT link any other web pages to your message. If you do this, your message will be deleted!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.