Add your voice!


....... add your voice by clicking on an article title and leaving your message in the Comments box (English welcome, of course!)

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

"Who Moved My Cheese?" - A Book Review

Jennifer Li

Dr. Spencer Johnson’s, Who Moved My Cheese? is a true story that  starts at a reunion. The people at the reunion were good friends in school, but had lost contact for a long time. Getting together again, they could not wait to hear more about what was happening in each other’s life, and ask for advice on how to deal with the unexpected changes that had come to them. Michael, who had encountered an enormous change and had dealt with it successfully shared a funny story with everyone called, “Who Moved My Cheese?”
Image courtesy Penguin.com, publisher
The book is about “changes,” changes in work, relationships, in life in general. There are only four characters in this funny story: Scurry, Sniff, Hem, and Haw. While each of them has a unique, strong personality, there is a one thing they have in common – they love cheese. The cheese in the book is a metaphor for what we are pursuing in our life - an ideal job, a harmonious relationship, a rewarding lifestyle.

Change sounds like an abstract concept, and we seldom think about it. However, the author makes sense of change by telling us a story in easy words and with a clear structure. It was easy for me to enter this story.  The four characters seemed alive; they confused me, made me aware of some things I had not thought of, and also made me laugh. This book actually built a thinking space for me to explore, and always encouraged me think deeper.

When I first saw this book in the bookstore, I thought that it was probably like a fairy tale book that would try to give readers some moral lessons. However, Who Moved My Cheese? taught me much more than I expected. It was easy to see how the characters were different by the way they reacted to change. As I read this book, sometimes I was running with the characters to find the cheese, and in other situations, I wanted to pause for a while and then move on. Whatever happened, “cheese” reminded me to rethink my behavior. In other ways, this book helped me become more aware of everyone and everything around me and how I needed to reorganize my life.

Now that I have finished the book, I am lucky to have the opportunity to share it with all of you. Take an hour to experience the adventure in Who Moved My Cheese?, and you will find an ideal way to deal with unexpected changes and to get the “cheese” that you deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do NOT link any other web pages to your message. If you do this, your message will be deleted!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.